Sunday 6 February 2011

Gary Moore R.I.P.

I've just heard that former Thin Lizzy guitarist Gary Moore has died at the age of 58. I've got great memories of the man because the first proper live gig I ever went to was with my dad to see Gary Moore at the Colston Hall in Bristol.

I was about 14 and really into playing guitar at the time. I still love to play but at that time it was everything for me. I remember being completely slack-jawed at the sheer talent Moore possessed. Me, my dad and a thousand-odd ageing rockers sporting well-worn denim jackets and leather trousers all left very happy.

Me and my dad went to see him the year after at the same venue and had tickets to Bath's International Guitar Festival where Moore was scheduled to play. When we got to the gig there was a huge sign outside which read 'Appearance by Gary Moore cancelled.' Me and my dad were completely gutted but, luckily, Moore's place was taken by another fantastic guitarist called Bernie Marsden. But it wasn't Moore. Zach Starkey was the house drummer that night.

I thought about putting a solo song of Moore's up but then remembered that he plays on one of my all-time favourite Thin Lizzy tracks, Waiting For An Alibi. Crank it up.

R.I.P. Gary Moore

1 comment:

NCVG: National Council for Video Gaming said...

Great blog. Remember him being one of the first guitarist my dad ever got me into. At first it was against my will but the first time I heard him doing his empty rooms solo it was like...WOW.