Sunday 10 January 2010

Awful Album Covers

My Dad has three main hobbies. He enjoys doing jigsaw puzzles, he is a trainspotter and he is a stamp collector. I find it hard to muster any enthusiasm for the first two. His stamp collection, however, does hold some interest for me.

Since sending off tuppence to the Royal Mail as a you
ng boy he has been sent their First Day covers ever since. The latest batch to come through were based around classic album covers and included, amongst others, The Division Bell by Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells and The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars by David Bowie. It got me thinking though. All of the albums which featured on these stamps were, in their own unique way, works of art. But what about the worst album covers, album art so lacking in taste and style that you can only marvel at their brutality? So, I had a little look on the internet to see what I could find and here is a small selection of what I found. Brace yourselves...




I don't know about you but I find this terrifying.





By request only, apparently. Thank God.



One can only imagine how many times
he's been punched since this was released.




I think this may be the greatest thing
I have ever seen in my life.



My favourite is the clinically obese one.



"We're going to have to ask you to leave, sir.
You're scaring the children."




I can only assume he didn't leave Glasgow alive.




"I told you to put the incense out before you went to bed!"




Germaine Greer's favourite album cover.



Have a look for yourself online. Believe me, there are thousands.

No comments: