Saturday 24 January 2009

*Televised Crimewave *Popular Workshop *Section K - Moles Club, Bath - 22.1.09

Gigs are like a box of chocolates yada yada yada...

Section K baffled the audience before they played a note. With the guitarist in a lab coat, the bassist in full judo attire (only a red belt though) and chief synth/knob-twiddler dressed as Cruella DeVille’s sexually-confused nephew the audience braced themselves for some Uber-Eccentricity. Uber-Shite was unfortunately what they got. Clanking industrial drum-loops, vocal samples courtesy of some dull science-based radio broadcast circa 1954 and the murky guitar and bass sounding like incoherent tramps arguing over who gets the last can of Special Brew it appeared they were pretty much making it up as they went along. If you want to hear three mates fuck around I’d suggest this highly, otherwise just do it yourself.

Popular Workshop brought the audience in towards their warm, reassuring indie bosom with a jagged attack of feedback and askew, off-kilter guitar from their greasy-haired Italian frontman. Funniest moment of the evening: In an attempt to get the audience roused their singer/guitarist shouted defiantly into the microphone ‘BARACK OBAMA!’, only for the mike stand to impotently fall down.

Televised Crimewave's distinct brand of Northern-Goth-Nihilism evaporated any trace of the word ‘refund’ in the minds of paying punters. With a genuinely interesting frontman their songs are loaded with a hidden menace which always threatens to rear the ugliest of heads. Backed by a bowel-rattling drum sound and ersatz-50s echo these guys are Bloc Party’s Friends In The North playing their own soundtrack to a British horror flick not yet written.

3 comments:

restful sleep said...

while section K may not yet be the finished article, their noises were, to my mind, the most interesting thing about the night. I imagine you are probably a fan of 'proper' songs matured in oak barrels for 20 years before being released to an appreciative song-tasting public. The headline band were offensively boring with their (genuinely interesting? really?!) frontman mumbling through their dreary songs in a monotone. The second band on were a lot better and wore their Steve Albini influences proudly but got a bit samey towards the end. At least section K did something different. It was mesmeric, with a far greater range of sounds and textures than either of the other two bands managed. Still, from your 'review' I guess it was all just noise to you. Shame. Open your ears boy.

Jack Prescott said...

I'm not sure if replying to my own post enables you to see this but I'd like to say, firstly, that I'm happy that someone is reading this. Secondly, I'd honestly like to thank you for expressing your views. The only reaction I usually get from my writing is 'very good' or 'yeah, it's decent'. I don't know who you are sir but I'm happy that someone has brought me down a peg or two whether intentional or not. Unfortunately opinions are like arseholes - everyone has one - and I guess when you express them they're always gonna get shot down. Again, I can't thank you enough.

Jack Prescott said...

Also, I forgot to say, I think I found the frontman of Televised Crimewave interesting because I've probably read one too many Alan Sillitoe novels - there's something about a young Northerner with a chip on his shoulder.